Frequently Asked Questions
- We do include a referral section in the hardbound copy of the Membership Directory for our members. Those lawyers who wish to have a listing in the Directory may do so for a nominal fee. We also hold monthly networking meetings where you are able to meet lawyers who practice in other areas of the law.
- Non-members may call the Legal Referral Service, that provides information about lawyers within Fairfield County based upon the criteria you specify. You can contact the Legal Referral Service at: 203-335-4116 and 203-335-2654.
- For those who cannot afford a lawyer, Connecticut Legal Services, Inc. (CTLS) offers free legal assistance in civil matters: Family, Housing, as well as some Employee and Benefits matters. CTLS does not provide legal assistance in criminal cases. The CTLS staff manages some of the cases, while others will be referred local volunteer attorneys. For more information, please call 1-800-453-3320 (hours: 9 am – 3 pm).
The procedure for ordering/purchasing an audio CD and course materials is as follows: **Send a request via email or call for a particular seminar along with a check in the amount indicated for members/non-members on the seminar’s flier plus shipping + 6.35% tax.
We will send you the materials requested along with an Affidavit. Once you are finished listening to the tapes and reading the enclosed materials, sign the Affidavit, have it notarized and send it to our office. We will then issue you a CLE certificate for your records.
For non-members who wish to advertise in our newsletter, pricing for the different size ads we offer is as follows:
|Fee Business Card||$100.00|
Non-Profit: The Pro Bono Partnership, a tax-exempt public charity, is a complete legal resource center for nonprofit organizations and attorneys.
Provides free legal services to community-based nonprofit organizations that serve the poor and disadvantaged populations, primarily in the areas of health and human services, affordable housing, and neighborhood revitalization; Provides meaningful pro bono opportunities and support to corporate and private attorneys practicing in the areas of corporate, tax, real estate, employment, intellectual property, and nonprofit law; Offers workshops and materials on a variety of topics affecting nonprofit organizations and volunteer attorneys.
For more information, please call: 914-328-0674 or email: email@example.com
For-Profit: Business Legal Services, Inc. is offers free legal referral services to for-profit companies. Please refer to the Community Services section of this site for more information.
- Connecticut Bar Association: 860-223-4400
- Law Works For People: In cooperation with the legal services agencies of Connecticut, the CBA administers the Law Works For People program. The goal of the program is to recruit attorney volunteers to provide legal representation for clients who are screened by a legal services agency and deemed eligible for pro bono services. Volunteers receive free training, recognition for themselves and their firm, and a subscription to Law Works Notes, the program newsletter. Those attorneys accepting three pro bono cases per calendar year or who spend 25 hours per year on pro bono work, are awarded a voucher good for one free continuing legal education seminar through the CBA. For more information, contact Dolores D. Grillo, (860)612-2003 or 1-800-722-8811.
- Bar Examining Committee:
State of Connecticut
80 Washington Street
Hartford, Connecticut 06106-4411
- Grievance Committee: Statewide Bar Counsel Suite 2, Second Floor, 287 Main Street East Hartford, CT 06118-1885 Telephone: 860-568-5157For more information, please follow this link to the Connecticut Bar Association’s FAQs page http://www.jud.state.ct.us/faq/attorney.html
- Stamford Law Library: 123 Hoyt StreetStamford, CT 06905Telephone: (203) 359-1114Fax: (203) 324-2418
Library Hours: M-F, 9-5
- Connecticut Commission on Aging: Fore more information contact: Julie Evans Starr @ NCOA-CAN c/o the Connecticut Commission on Aging 25 Sigourney Street, 12th floorHartford, CTPhone: (860)424-5361Fax: (860) 424-4985