Comments Off on Deputy Corporation Counsel – City of Stamford
Deputy Corporation Counsel – City of Stamford‹ Back to Job Postings
Website City of Stamford
Deputy Corporation Counsel
- Type: Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$142,021 – $170,427
- Posted Date:05/10/2023 5:38 PM
DEPUTY CORPORATION COUNSEL
Salary range: $142,021- $170,427 (Eff. 7/1/2023 $145,571 – $174,688)
Under the general direction of the Director of Legal Affairs and Corporation Counsel, represents the City corporation and all departments, boards, commissions, officers, and employees in carrying out their official duties and responsibilities; renders legal opinions on a variety of matters, performs legal research, acts in place of the Corporation Counsel.
The ideal candidate will have the capacity to successfully carry out the following responsibilities, and have the knowledge, skills, abilities and attributes listed below:
- Represent the City corporation in court hearings involving lawsuits, appeals, and other legal matters.
- Researches, writes, and transmits legal opinions to appropriate departments and officials.
- Discusses/reviews and approves contracts, drafts for legislation, and legal instruments.
- Researches a wide variety of issues and provides input and advice on legal interpretations and ramifications.
- Assigns work to and coordinates the legal staff in the performance of duties.
- Represents City Corporation in dealing with representatives of State or Federal agencies.
- Attends hearings and meetings with boards and commissions.
- Checks contracts, deeds, and other legal documents as to form and legality.
- Performs other work as required by the Corporation Counsel.
- Thorough knowledge of the legal practice and procedures in Connecticut; the common, statutory, and local laws and ordinances, established precedents, and the sources of legal reference.
- Ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, and procedures of legal research and investigation.
- Knowledge of settlement value of negligence claims.
- Knowledge of judicial practices, trial procedures, and rules of evidence.
- Knowledge of municipal law and government.
- Ability to organize, appraises, and analyze facts, evidence, and precedents in connection with court cases and legal opinions.
- Ability to interpret judicial decisions and apply the same.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officials and employees of the jurisdiction, court officials, and with the general public.
- Ability to express oneself both clearly, orally, and in writing.
- Ability to coordinate and manage the work and performance of legal staff.
Graduation from an accredited college or university and graduation from an accredited School of Law and five (5) years of full-time practice as an attorney. At the time of appointment, eligibility to practice law in the State of Connecticut.
How to Apply:
Candidates who are excited about the position of Deputy Corporation Counsel, and joining the City of Stamford are encouraged to apply. All candidates must submit a cover letter and resume outlining their qualifications and the reasons for wanting to work for the Department of Legal Affairs and the City’s Corporation Counsel.
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter to Vanesa Francis at email@example.com with Subject Line: Deputy Corporation Counsel.
with Subject Line: Deputy Corporation Counsel.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting immediately. Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to contact applicants who are selected for an interview.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org